Monday, August 24, 2009

The Teacher


On my way to meet this guy, I get stung in the neck by a wasp. This makes me wonder what the date will be like, but mostly I’m in too much pain to think about anything else. I suddenly have a killer headache too.

Two minutes later, I pull up to Meade Street Station where I am meeting Mr. Teacher. He’s waiting for me with open arms, ready to give me a hug as I’m locking up my bike. I explain to him right away why I’m not in the best of spirits. He seems appropriately sympathetic, but there is nothing to be done to take the pain away except wait it out.

We go in and order some lunch which still tastes delicious despite my grumpiness. Mr. Teacher is just an all-around good guy. He has on a cap like the one my grandpa used to wear. In fact, in many ways, he reminds me of my grandpa. This is a good thing in the sense that my grandpa is one of the nicest guys you’d ever know. But, it sort of precludes me from wanting to date the guy if I’m thinking of him like my grandfather.

So, we have a pleasant lunch but the fire isn’t there. I let him know a couple of days later (when he calls for a second date) that I have found someone else I am more connected to. I wish him luck. I hope he understands.

No comments:

Post a Comment